Monday, April 6, 2009

Talking Post VIII-Jean Anyon

Jean Anyon's article on the "Social Class and Hidden Curriculum of Work" was really interesting, but yet it kind of bothered me in a way about what she had seen from her 5 observations. She is the director of education at Rtugers University and studies the effect of economic, social, and ethnicity all in one and how they affect their potential to learn. She obtains statistics from each class the working class, the middle class, and the executive class on how they each have an affect on the economy and the type of school atmospheres thyre in reflecting on their social class.


The part that bothered me was when she was talking about the working class and how the teachers didn't really care about the students. She saw that they didn't take the initiative and was a leader in the classroom. for example, they didn't use very many textbooks and when they decided to use them they made their students copy them down and when they asked for help, they didn't really acknowledge them. The students then came with more questions becuase they were confused and I could understand why. A kid that comes from a working class is usually not very well educated coming from the family if they don;t have very much money.

If I was a teacher I would do anything I could to help the student learn to their fullest potential. I would never leave a kid behind because of his ethnicity or where he comes from socially class wise. I treat every student as I see them and wouldn't do anything differently. Every student can and will be successful as long as they give a full effort.

In the middle class Anyon observes that the middle class students can learn to do things more independently than the working class students can and the teachers don't have to help them out as much. They sometimes use the textbooks and have the students start to use their brains and figure things out for themselves.

As far as the executive class goes they are the so called rich class and rich students who's parents have a very good income and they try to find the best education possible. I guess the society as a whole would classify it as "the genius group" who will become doctors, lawyers, CEO's or presidents of some company. They think that their child is the best and noone else is above them. Teachers are the best ever in this class because they provide the best education and provide little to no help at all becuase the students can think for themsleves.


In my opinion it doesn;t matter where you come from or who you are, I won't change any of my ways of teaching for my students. That's kinda been my philosophy ever ince I wanted to become a teacher and it will continue to stay that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment