Saturday, April 25, 2009

Diversity Event-Special Olympics

On Friday I had a chance to attend the Special Olympics at the Murray Center. I have to say after watching what was going on, I wish I had worked it because I'm becoming a Physical Education major with a specialization in adaptive phys ed. which means I can design programs for students with special needs. When I first walked in all the students were at least doing something and no one was standing around doing nothing which was good. They had everything from a dancing station to games where the students had to try and get bean bags through holes and it was just all around fun to watch.

Next year I plan on taking part in it because I want to give these students with special needs very opportunity I can and it doesn't matter the condition they have I just want to be able to see them smile and have a good time. Most importantly teach them that they are just as important as people who don't have a condition knowing that they could do anything just like normal people.

This also relates to other connections we've had in class such as Khane and Westhiemer's charity vs. change concept. I realized that this wasn't so much a charity but more of a change. According to them, they want the same thing I want which is to be able to realize what they can do and still have fun. Give them the same opportunites as others. I also think that this event was connected to Kleiwer and how what she thinks about teaching in a "least restrictive environment." To me, there is no such thing as restrictive enviornment for school because I don;t want these students thinking that they are being treated differently than others. Their citezenship is just as important as everyone else in school.

Overall, it was a fun time and a great experience for me, and I will definitely take part in this next year to give me some more experience before I do it as a profession in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. i wish i had gone... i had class til 12 : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so glad that you are talking that major because we need more teachers like you. Im glad you want to make a change and you want these children to feel like the are just like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister, the special education teacher, has a huge issue with the Special Olympics. She always goes off that yeah, sure the kids competing in a sport, and so on, but hey you could just enroll your child with disabilities in regular sports, and have them be around people that aren't disabled. It would help the child with the disability to be in that type of environment, and it would also help others become more accustomed to dealing with people with disabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that this event was meaningful to you -- good connection to Kahne and Westheimer. And Orrin's point is a good one to consider, also, given the Kliewer article we read!

    ReplyDelete