Friday, April 17, 2009

Talking Points IX-Kleiwer

In Kleiwer's article "Citizenship in School" Kleiwer talks about how special education kids with disabilities experience themselves through schooling in a democratic society. The article talks about how theses schools make the students with disablilities go into a special section we know as "special education." Special Education in this article is referred to as students with disabilities who can't function normally in a classroom and have disabilitites such as down syndrome or autism. The question I asked myself before writing this article is...Should becoming a student whose part of special education be treated any differently? Can they learn just as much as students who don't have a learning disability? These are the many questions that people should ask themselves and it's an ongoing issue with people trying to integrate these students into a society of special needs and education.

Throughout the article, the different stories by people who have learning disabilitites were incredible as far as learning about their life stories. It's amazing how these students who have down syndrome always find a way to learn each and everyday. They are strong people who don't let anything get in their way. With a positive attitude and countless support from teachers, it doesn nothing, but put a smile on their face. With the help of Vygostky's theroies and opinions, I think I better understood what the concept he was trying to have the reader understand and that's the importance of growing with a disablility and dealing with social reactions with other people. Knowing that it's ok that students with disabilities may learn differently from one another,but in the end do they learn something? Of course they do.

In my opinion, it doesn;t matter how you learn becuase we we all learn differently. For some of us, it's visually, for others, it's auditory. I know this because I have what I grew up as a learning disability. But I realized that it's not so much of a disability I found out that I just learn differently. I've been made fun of all my laugh for it and it's sad because for people to think that I couldn;t learn something or had negativity towards having a disability. I don;t think like that anymore and I don;t let what everyone thinks I have get in the way of my career and what I want to do for the rest of my life. Everyone has the potential to learn.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that everyone learns differently. Teachers need to recognize that and try to make sure they know how their students learn so they can become good teachers and all their students can learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone does learn differently and teacher really do need to recognize that...but should the teacher change everything s/he planned out just because of one student?

    ReplyDelete