Monday, March 23, 2009

Talking Points VI- Brown vs. Board of Education

I found this article very confusing for me. I think this because it got so into detail and big words that none of it was making real sense. I remember learning this in high school history during our civil war unit. The basic understanding of Brown vs. Board of Education is to try and integrate the school systems and not have them be segregated blacks from whites.

One example that I really liked was the part where the 7th grade teacher gave the same speech after an exam saying that they all had talent at "whatever whether it was woodworking, auto mechanics, there would always be a place for you in this society." I really liked this because that's how teacher's should have thought in that time. It doesn't matter the color that you are, you always have talent that will get you somewhere at some point in your life.

I also liked the example in 1954 we believed that we could integrate blacks and whites together by sports in Bear Bryant football team. Speaking of football that also reminded me of Remember the Titans and how the whites were forced to play with the blacks, learn to get to know each others names and about themselves. The point was that they needed to become family and they did. I believe that whites and whites don't need to work together to succeed which says that people of the same race and color don;t always work hand in hand. Sometimes it takes the opposite to work together and thats ok.

In the end I believe that the Brown vs. Board of Ed. has changed the way we think about segregation from then till now, however, there will always be racism and parts of segregation in this country. I know many people try to seek the good and not think this, but we live in a society where alot of people are greedy and all about themselves. With saying that, that can take affect how these certain people treat others regardless if your black, white, etc. We will always still have "one more river to cross" and fighting for segregation to be fully solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment