Monday, March 16, 2009

Talking Points V-"In the Service of What?"

In the article by Kahne and Westheimer I thought it was very hard to understand the argument they were trying to make, even after reading it twice over. I got out of the article that the more experiences you go through by doing service learning projects or community service the better off of a teacher you'll be to teach your future students. Having your students make them do community service in order to graduate is the best way to get kids out into the real world and have them face reality I think. As the students grow older they will be able to take initiative on their own and help out for a cause, charity, or whatever the community servuce might be.

For example, one of the teacher's Mr. Johnson, had his students do community service at a local senior center to help out with the elderly and one girl had so much fun that she had volunteered on her own to go and help out on Thanksgiving with her mother. Most studnets in high school don't do much anyways exept athletes who are always busy with sports. It helps with students who don't have much going on and are looking for things to do within their community.

I would definietly strive for my students to do community service and fully support the school that I'm in to go forth with it. I myself needed to do 25 hours of community service in order to graduate from my high school and at the same time add that too 25 more hours in order to make my confirmation. It definitely taught me to be more considerate for others and I think that in helping the community it makes you become a better person and people see you differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment