Monday, February 9, 2009

Talking Points #1 Goldberg vs. Klozer

The first story I read which was called "110 People Who are Screwing Up America" was about kids not appreciating their heritage and where they came from and the schools they attended which made me really upset that as a citizen of America, you can't accept your heritage the way that it is. I do agree with the fact that Goldberg said most schools are breaking down in education for the kids becuase they are not interested in learning anymore and thats why many kids fail out of school or have trouble moving on in their lives as far as education.

The second story I read was one by Kozol called "Amazing Grace" which is about people who live between the South Bronx and Manhattan, NY who have very little in their lives. They are people who live horrible lives where they as well as other children are surrounded by violence, drugs, sex, etc. and anything else possible you could ever imagine.Is this the kind of world we want our kids to grow up in? Do we want them living and going to an education al school where teachers don;t care and students do drugs and are barely making it through school? Absolutely not and I think that these two stories have that in common. Kids don;t want to do well or have a lack in school because of their surroundings and the way they grew up. To me, we need to change that and get our public schools cleaned up more and back on track educationally.

All in all, they were great stories to read and they definitely caught my attention. It made me realize how important of where I grew up and the kids I grew up around are important to me becuase they've impacted my life by becoming a better person. By hanging out and growing up with the right kind of people is the best thing to me.

1 comment:

  1. You have a great intro to these two texts Mike. Now dig a little deeper to find the argument each author makes. IN the syllabus I detail the way to structure your Talking Points so that you get the most of of this assignment.

    ReplyDelete